Ooyala Backlot Provides Foundation for Video Commerce

Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Mountain View, CA., Feb 11, 2009 - Ooyala Inc., a leading online video technology and services provider, is helping drive the emerging trend of broader usage of video on eCommerce sites. A growing number of eCommerce sites are using video content to promote, sell, and support commercial products or services. Betty Mills, Pinewood Studios, Edelbrock, and Armani, are using Ooyala's video platform to augment their e-commerce strategy.
Betty Mills uses videos to educate viewers on selecting products based on features, environment, and scenarios. Through their "Featured Clip" video section, Betty Mills presents customer testimonials. This is where product enthusiasts discuss and demonstrate tips and techniques.
The number of individuals who watch video on retail websites has grown rapidly, according to comScore. In October 2008, 34.8 million individuals viewed retail videos, a 40% year-over-year increase. Further, retail video viewers represented about 23% of total visitors to retail websites in October 2008, up from 17% in October 2007 (eMarketer. January 2009. Video Usage in eCommerce: The Best is Yet To Come). Cumulatively, Ooyala's retail customers have seen a 40% increase in the number of unique plays after incorporating video on their home pages.
Ooyala's comprehensive platform provides a suite of features, which include encoding, management, delivery and measurement. By using Ooyala's platform, retailers do not need to purchase content delivery, hosting services, or servers. Ooyala's integrated solution results in significant cost savings, thereby further increasing ROI.
"It is exciting to see the variety of implementations coming from our eCommerce customers and the new creative ways of using video. Because our platform is so flexible and easy to use, we are seeing great success stories every day with lower management costs, higher engagement and increased sales. We anticipate more and more retailers to supplement their online experience with video and look forward to not only making it easier for them to do so, but more valuable as well," stated JR Becko, Sales Director at Ooyala.
Backlot's syndication controls provide an additional revenue-generating opportunity. Retailers can share and distribute content to a variety of video destination sites, extending the awareness and purchasing potential of their products. As noted in the report, a video can supply the final push a shopper needs to make a purchase. Ooyala is committed to helping provide a high quality video experience that is feature rich and easy to implement to convert the shopper to a purchaser. In the coming month, Ooyala will be announcing additional controls to drive video commerce initiatives.
About Ooyala
Ooyala is a leading video technology company that provides a comprehensive suite of publishing, analytics, and monetization capabilities. With Ooyala's online video platform, content owners gain deep viewer insights that drive increased video engagement and monetization opportunities. Ooyala serves global media companies and web marketers including Wenner Media, Fremantle, Armani, Sybase and Electronic Arts.
For more information please contact:
(650) 961-3400